Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Stay healthy...get your checkups!!

So...this is not really related to anything fun but figured someone out there might be able to relate...I'm a bit of a foodie, love trying new things and all things spicy!!!! Tummy wasn't feeling all that great for a few weeks, noticing some other symptoms when going to the bathroom...decided it was time to get things checked out. Informed my doctor about what was going on and was immediately referred to a gastroenterologist! YIKES!!!! GI immediately scheduled me for a...yep you guessed it - COLONOSCOPY!!! Can we say NOT PREPARED!! I am no where near old enough, or so I thought, and was definitely not prepared for the prep portion of this event!! OMG!!! I had heard, as I'm sure we all have, but hearing and actually dealing with this is two different things!! WHEW!!! Had the procedure done, which the procedure itself was a breeze...I remember absolutely nothing since they twilight you for the event...THANK YOU!!!! I must say I totally understand why MJ enjoyed the Propofol!! WOW! It was like I had been asleep for days.

Some biopsies were taken, etc...good news they figured out what was going on but bad news is there isn't anything specific you can do to prevent this...I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Really? See link for info if you're interested: What is ulcerative colitis? I really didn't know much about it so of course I'm all over the web looking up in and everything!!! My boyfriend finally had to tell me to stop going on line. Basically I have to limit dairy, high fiber foods and just watch in general what I eat that triggers my symptoms. I was placed on some meds - an anti inflammatory and a corticosteroid (yuck) but my doctor is really confident that my case isn't severe enough that I will have to be on these long term. I'm already noticing significant improvement. :) Still trying to figure out exactly what causes the flare ups...it's pretty much trial and error.  Seems I probably had a flare up a few years ago but it wasn't serious and symptoms subsided fairly quickly which didn't prompt me to see a doctor...so I'm thinking it's something that will work it's course and then calm back down. I'm sure I'm definitely not alone with this...would love to chat/see what works for others with this condition.

If nothing else when you experience these types of things it definitely makes you cherish health and the health of those around you...try not to sweat the small stuff and just enjoy life and those your love!! >clink<

No comments:

Post a Comment