Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Ormond Beach-Tomoka State Park


Hello~

Glad you stopped back by!!! We visited a local state park while in #Ormond Beach this Summer. Tomoka State Park is nestled away on 1800 square feet of really "swampy looking" land.  You get the full affect with the heavy moss in the thick tree growth, really creepy!! We checked out one of the hiking trails and along the way saw some boat docks, pavilion's, and a neat little "store" where you can buy some odd little trinkets, grab a bite, pick up some bait, and even found another tag for my walking stick!!  Started out our small hike and before we even ventured in that far...side note: I seem to attract wild animals when we go into the woods/hike - ex: went camping for the first time in my life and saw not one but two bears!! Really??!!! My sweetie has been camping his entire life and had never seen one during the camping trips, just my luck I guess, LOL!!! Had to share so the next part makes sense....so while getting ready to hit the trail my sweetie says "watch your step", I'm thinking there's a dip in the road or something....no...not that....there was a SNAKE right next to my foot!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just about lost it!!!

The lovely snake-still makes me cringe!


Taking a break from hiking! Awesome view!!

I was able to get my composure back and venture on through the "woods", boy was the area thick with trees and vegetation!! It was so thick it became hard to breathe the deeper you walked in...we ended up turning around after going for a bit because it was just to much with the heat. WHEW!!! It was definitely time to hydrate with some adult beverages, LOL!! Kidding...we chugged water!! While at the park we did come across an area that had a statue called Legend of Tomokie - it was sculpted by a local artist named Fred Dana Marsh between 1954 and 1955. It was dedicated in 1957 and depicts the legend of Tomokie - an Indian chief. It is also there to remind visitors of the Timucua people that lived along the Tomoka river before colonization. Had no idea this was even out there-nice piece of history. 






















After walking and enjoying the beautiful scenery at this portion of the park we went to the little "store" that was at the head of the trail to grab my tag for my walking stick and while in there the clerk told us that we absolutely had to take a short drive up the road to see the 2000+ year old live oak! Well, who could pass that up? We drove about a mile from the park and off a side road to our next destination. Let's just say we were not prepared to see the actual size of this tree!!! I'm not even sure pictures do it justice....this thing was huge!!! The fact that it has survived for so long is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truly an amazing site to see and I'm so glad we were able to check it out. Who knows when an opportunity like this might happen again.




























Look to the right-that is actually one of the branches on the ground! WOW!!!


Seeing the live oak was the end of our park day/hiking outing....definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.



Me in front of the tree-I look like an ant, LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment