Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Fall Trip - Fort Yargo State Park


View from the dock 

OMG this year has flown by!!! I wanted to share our Fall visit to a Georgia park called Fort Yargo State Park in Winder. I had never heard of this park but I'm glad we checked it out. Scenery was gorgeous!!! Now of course everyone knows how much I adore the outside life (LOL) but once again I stepped out of my comfort zone, seems to be happening a lot these days, thanks sweetie!!! Okay, okay....so I have to confess...part of going on this camping trip did come with a tiny bribe-a trip to Chateau Elan complete with a day at the spa and the wine tasting. (and of course that had to come with a round of golf for my sweetie-all about compromise...LOL)
Will definitely have to share that experience on my next travel post!

We camped two nights this time around and boy was that plenty! An air mattress is only so comfortable. It was actually a bit crowded surprisingly enough but our camp site was in a corner away from the other neighbors so it worked out well. Camp grounds are very well maintained and I instantly fell in love with the bathroom/bath house!! There was HEAT and the showers had really hot water! YES!!!!! Since it was October and the temps were already starting to drop this was definitely a bonus! Views were gorgeous during our hike around the lake and even just taking a stroll near the camp site. We ended up doing about 6 miles on the hike-WHEW!!! Talk about ready for some steak over the camp fire!! I did earn another tag for my walking stick-WOOHOO!! I actually have quite a few on there now and looking to add more in the future. It's a bit of a motivational/bragging rights thing...hey, whatever works, right? Keeps us active! If you are into camping/hiking/relaxing I would definitely recommend adding this spot to your list of places to visit. There were some yurts right off the lake so great spots to fish if you are into that as well. We actually tent camped but there was plenty of space for RVs and there were some small cabins. We even spotted a little beach on one side of the park with a nice sized pavilion if you wanted to have a family reunion or other type of event.


Man made fire!
Our "fabz" accommodations for the stay.





Now if you caught the "fort" portion of the parks name then you guessed it...this lovely park surrounds an old fort. It was pretty neat to see some of the the still standing structures...check out the pics below...amazing how well preserved everything is. Even had a really cool "cooking oven" outside with a full size grilling/roasting pit. The craftsmanship is simply amazing!!! 

































No comments:

Post a Comment